Worried about covering all the bases as you evict a tenant? It’s easier than you think. Logan Law, LLC can help you navigate the intricacies of serving an eviction so the process runs smoothly and you can recoup your losses.
Here are a few FAQs.
How do I start the eviction process?
- Pay a filing fee of $60.50 (non-refundable, only checks or money orders accepted)
- Provide four copies of the court order (two certified and two regular copies)
- Fill out the Eviction Disclosure Form (your attorney can fill it out for you)
If you need to make any changes to the paperwork, this must be done by the judge who issued the court order.
When will the eviction take place?
Evictions are scheduled in the order they were filed and by location. Your attorney at Logan Law, LLC will receive a call from the Sheriff’s office one business day before the eviction so we can notify you of the exact time it will take place
Any paperwork filed with the court, such as bankruptcies or court orders, may have a bearing on and even interrupt the eviction. We will advise you of any additional documents you can provide so the order for eviction can be enforced.
What will happen on the day of the eviction?
- Identify yourself to the Sheriff as the plaintiff
- Direct the Sheriff to the door of the property to be evicted
- Sign a document permitting forced entry when necessary
- Arrange for removal of tenant’s possessions (eviction only removes tenants, not their property)
- Accept possession of the property
The eviction is complete when the Sheriff places a “no trespassing” order on the door. If you choose to cancel the eviction at the site, or you or your representative fail to appear, the eviction is canceled and you will have to pay a fee to reschedule. Evictions are re-scheduled in the case of inclement weather.
We know eviction can be a stressful process. Allow us to take the burden for you. Call 773-394-6400 for a free consultation with one of our eviction attorneys in Chicago, IL today.